Friday, May 14, 2010

Nintendo characters.... or cupcakes?

My mom needed treats to take to work the other day, so i attempted polka dot cupcakes. One of my goals of this summer is to really work on my cake baking and decorating skills. (Watch out, KI: Bill has volunteered you all as my guinea pigs... my parents would kill me if I made a cake every week for the 3 of us to eat!)

All was going well until somehow water splashed from the double boiler into my melted chocolate, causing it to seize up and harden. Sad, I know, but I am determined to make all of my cake creations using icing a/o chocolate - no fondant for this girl! It just doesn't taste good... Anyways, I had only made the big polka dots at this point, and no little ones. Sadly, what I had envisioned as adorable cupcakes (adapted from a design at the Riviera Bakehouse ) ended up looking more like Toadstool from the Nintendo Mario series...


(taken from Toys N Joys website)

But here they are anyways. My mom said everyone at work enjoyed them and thought they were cute... and they tasted yummy, which is really all that matters!




Tomorrow I tackle a rainbow cake to donate (as a surprise!) to the Masters' Council meeting at KI Saturday. I just finished baking the cakes- yes, at 12:30. I've become a bit of an insomniac the past couple of months - so here's hoping they're still as cute in the morning as I think they are now!

And in the spirit of updating as a true blogger would, I am happy to say that this has been a great week! Bill and I found a house we love, so please keep your fingers and toes crossed for us. It is in the best location possible for us, has a beautiful deck (one of my dreams) and a workshop (Bill's dream!) I also found out some terrific news about grad school, so it appears that things are actually all coming together even better than I could ever have anticipated. AND only 128 days til the wedding! Eek, I better get to work! And more good news: my brother is unexpectedly coming home tomorrow for EIGHT DAYS. As he's a manager for the basketball team at UNC-Charlotte, he rarely is able to come home more than a couple of days at a time, so this is going to be a real treat for my family! Especially me, because my potential job doesn't start until June 14, so I'll have someone to hang out with, rather than making cakes and getting fat or talking to my dog all day like he's a human.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment