Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Books

To make a long story short, I LOVE to read. Both of my parents love to read, and I definitely inherited that from them. My mom is just like me and always has a book at arm's reach. She trades books with her sisters all the time, and I'm lucky enough to be able to read ones they recommend. So here's a little list of some of my favorite books that I've been reading this summer...


1) Dead In the Family - Charlaine Harris
The latest installment in the Southern Vampire series. Not my favorite of the series, but these books are GREAT. The TV show True Blood is based off of these, but I think the books are way better. I think they're better than Twilight, in terms of vampire novels, and we all know what a huge fan of Twilight I am!

2) The Boy In The Striped Pajamas - John Boyne
My aunt Nancy gave this to my mom to read, who then passed it on to me. It is an easy read - it took me less than 24 hours, but it's pretty powerful. I will warn you - it's sad, but it gives you a lot to think about. Apparently there's a movie, my aunt Kathy has seen it, so I'll have to check that out soon.

3) Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Has anyone read this? It's really hard for me to get through! I find myself skimming over paragraphs and then I don't know what's happening. Both Barnes & Noble and Borders were having huge summer sales last week though, and this was on clearance for $3.99. I couldn't pass it up, especially since it's supposedly a modern classic. It is pretty funny, and it is yet another book that makes you think.

And on a related note, talking about the sales... I also bought "Invictus" and a GREAT muffin/cake/cookie book! I made these strawberry jam and shortcake cookies for 4th of July and they were delicious. The biggest problem is that this book is definitely not American, and most of the measurements are in ounces, rather than cups and spoons, so it's a little tricky. And of course, there was the presence of an ingredient not carried in my local grocery store, but it all worked out!

All the book covers were taken from Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment