Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A few of my favorite things

Okay, I lied! This next post is not about my love of painting. I promise that's next though, because I do have some pictures to share of my current project! So come back soon.

What I really want to talk about right now is a little list of my current favorite things. AKA, my current obsessions.

Number one is Smitten Kitchen. Really, why and how has it taken me so long to discover this lady's blog? I am a little in love with her and a lot in love with all of the gorgeous pictures of the delicious food she makes! Doesn't this look fantastic? And this? And this? I could go on, but I won't... instead, I'll just say I cannot wait to get settled into my new home (with my new kitchen!) and start!

Next up is The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud. I am sad to say that I have temporarily given up on Catch 22, but it was moving so slowly and I just couldn't take it anymore. Has anyone actually finished that book? What is the actual plot? I know Yossarian wants to get out and go home, but that's really all I've gathered in the first 150 pages... Anyways. Charlie St. Cloud. This book is great so far. I'd never heard of it until I saw the movie preview, but I teared up at that alone, so I knew it had to be a winner. It's sad, obviously, but it seems to be a good story. I'm really not very far into it, so we'll see if I continue loving it as much as I do so far.

Another thing I am loving right now is chocolate cake! My mom had a birthday this past weekend, and it's just not a birthday celebration without a cake. So I made this one, and it is delicious, and it has taken all my will power to limit myself to only one piece at a time! (This made me think of another thing I love - gel food colors! These babies are awesome. They're a little messier than the regular food coloring, but they are SO bright and it doesn't take much coloring at all to change a whole batch of icing!)

 
Coming up next is this girl (she's on the right, I'm on the left): Wandaly!
Funny story: we both went to Furman for our first year of college, and transferred to UNC at the same time. We didn't know each other at FU (student population: about 2600) but we met and became great friends in Chapel Hill (student population: about 18,000 undergraduates). This wonderful friend of mine is sadly moving back to Miami soon, but I am going to get to see her tomorrow, and I am just so excited!!


And of course, when talking about my favorite things, we cannot forget the two loves of my life: my fiance Bill and our puppy Sensei. I haven't mentioned the dog in a couple of posts, so you knew it was time! Sensei "graduated" from his puppy class at PetSmart (PetsMart? both make sense to me) just the other week. His teacher Geralyn (who is freakin' AMAZING) said he is one of the rare dogs who doesn't have to repeat the class! I know I am bragging, but Sensei is just the greatest dog ever and I love him. This is a picture from his last class, where he obliged Bill and I and sat still with that silly hat on long enough for a photo to be snapped. Normally he freaks at things on his head, but maybe that's because my latest endeavor has been to try to get him to wear this squirrel toy he ripped open like a Daniel Boone coonskin cap - it's hilarious!










Well, now that I've shared some things that make life worth living, I'm diving back into my novel. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment