Sunday, July 18, 2010

I was so naive

To think that moving just meant finding a house, packing up your belongings, and transferring them to your new home. oh no. It is so much more.

As I have discovered within the past few weeks, an individual can accumulate a lot of junk. Especially when that individual has lived in the same room of the same house for close to nineteen years. Especially when that individual is especially sentimental and likes to save things. Or, at least, doesn't like to throw things out. And by things, I mean every movie ticket (in an old altoids tin) since the 7th grade. Clothes that haven't seen the light of day since 2004. A life-size Jake Delhomme that has lived in the closet for years. Every article in every magazine or newspaper within a fifty-mile radius that even mentions Jon Bon Jovi. Posters from the movie theater, courtesy of friends who were ushers. In case anyone was wondering, that individual is me. I spend some time every day going through my stuff, and making decisions about whether to pack or purge something. There are always 3 piles in my room: Trash. To be packed. To be donated. And please, let's not forget the FIFTY-NINE CDS that can be given away - that's right, I purged my collection of 59 CDS. Anyone who knows me and my love of music knows that was like cutting off and giving away a limb. But I decided it was finally time to part with my S Club 7 and Backstreet Boys records and donate them to some pre-teen who would give them the loving, and air-time, they deserve. Although said teeny-bopper has probably actually never heard of them. (Side story: a few years ago, I was in Europe and there were some middle schoolers on my trip... who had never heard of Destiny's Child! Seriously? Bugaboo was my jam in the 6th grade... and we all know Bootylicious is my personal anthem.) So if anyone is feeling a little nostalgic and wants a copy of BBMak's Sooner or Later or Shawn Mullen's Soul's Core, I'm your girl.

Stay tuned for my next post, on why it's sure a good thing I love to paint. (Hint: because I'm about to be doing a lot of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment