Monday, July 5, 2010

it's the simple things in life...

like when and where.

Now, I'm not here to quote Kid Rock lyrics to you, but that song is perpetually stuck in my head. Luckily, it's the middle of a hot southern summer, so at least it's applicable.

Anyways. I hope everyone had a happy 4th! I was lucky enough to celebrate two nights in row, and see two fantastic fireworks shows. Coca-Cola sponsored a festival at the USNWC in Charlotte, so I went with Bill's family Saturday to celebrate with food, climbing, oohing over the baby (Bill's sister's beautiful 9-month-old girl!) and fireworks-watching. Sunday, I was able to go to the fireworks show at Town Square in my beautiful hometown. It is the epitome of small-town southernness, and I loved it! I was able to see many friends, help Ruby sell ice-pops (or, Chilly Willys, as I always called them!) and see a second night of fireworks. Surprisingly, even though this was mine and Bill's 5th July 4th together, and we have both lived in this little town our whole lives, it was the first time we went to this particular show together!

And don't worry - pictures of the fun are forthcoming!

Now on to more simple things I'm loving:

- The miracle of Goody's Spin Pins. I promise you, they are all the commercials make them out to be. Believe the hype, people!

- Packing boxes. You'd be amazed at how much I can fit into one box. Which is awesome, as I'm currently packing up my whole life!

- These new frozen yogurt places that are popping up everywhere. The ones where you get all the flavors and mix-ins you want, and pay by the ounce... the closest one I've found is in Greensboro... Catch up, Winston!

And now pictures from my trip to San Diego! This trip was far from simple, as it was jam-packed with new and fun things, but the pictures just take a few minutes to look over and remind me of what a great week I had with Bill :) Here are some of my favorites!



Our rental car! With the 70-degree weather, a convertible was the perfect ride.


At the Torrey Pines' Gliderport.


My first view of the Pacific Ocean!


Bill took me to Seal Beach, at La Jolla.


Casa de Balboa at Balboa Park.


The dome of the Museum of Man in Balboa Park.


It's not a trip to the West Coast without a stop at Rubio's for Bill's favorite fish tacos!


Hiking at Torrey Pines' State Reserve.


Putting my feet in the Pacific Ocean!


The koalas at the San Diego Zoo. Seeing as they sleep 20 hours a day, we didn't see any active ones.


But luckily the polar bear more than made up for all the other sleeping animals with his antics!

So there you are - my favorite 11 pictures (out of the 319 I took!) from the West Coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment