Thursday, July 22, 2010

Paint

As promised, a quick little post on my love of paint and the wonders it can do.

Take for example, this cheap-o Target bookshelf. Don't get me wrong - I love this baby. Michelle and I both bought one of these (for less than $25) before we moved in for our second (and final - *tear*) year of living together at Carolina. And they truly served their purpose. It's much sturdier than you would think, and it was great for a dorm room, and then a year living in an apartment with mismatched furniture. But now that I am getting ready to move into a big-girl house, I'd kind of like to have nicer furniture. Or at least, nicer-looking furniture. Starting grad school, buying a house and getting married are not exactly events that leave you well off, so who am I to throw out a perfectly functional bookcase just because it's covered in fake blonde-wood laminate? Since the desk I have in my parent's house is moving with me, and is very dark wood, I decided to paint my bookshelf a dark brown to coordinate. (And once I move, I'll be painting my IKEA Trofast unit to match as well... I'm just waiting to move before I take it out of the box and put it together). Anyways, I was a little worried about painting this shelf because I did not want to sand it. It's sturdy, but I didn't think it was thick enough to handle an electric sander, and let's be honest - the back is made of cardboard. So I did a little research, headed to Lowes with Bill (aka Bill's version of heaven) and we stumbled upon this:
Universal. As in all-purpose. As in, WORKS ON LAMINATE. It took almost two cans of this miracle worker, but my bookshelf is now a sleek and sophisticated espresso brown. That was Monday, and I took a picture before the final coat, so it's still a little splotchy:
Don't worry - another picture of the final product is forthcoming... once it's in a house and not a garage. I did go out and admire it today, though - no drips or streaks. I'm not a huge fan of spray paint (it gets EVERYWHERE), especially when painting larger items like this. A word to the wise: if you are spray-painting an enclosed space, like the inside of a bookshelf for example, be prepared for some of that spray to come back on you. I looked like I had a tan by the time I emerged from the garage, and well, we all know that will never actually happen.

And now for the second reason I love paint: I just don't like white walls. As Bill's preparing to move out, we're getting his house ready to rent/sell. This past weekend, we finished what we had been putting off for a good year - painting the stairwell. We painted the entire downstairs of his house in April 2009, but the stairwell was such a daunting task, we left it as it was. You can see in this picture why it was a little more difficult than painting the kitchen or living room - the walls are stinkin' tall! But with the help of an extender rod, arm muscles (and some Papa Johns pizza for energy!), we got the job done. Thank the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment