Thursday, July 8, 2010

the wedding industry

I have more than a few things to say about the wedding industry. And the fact that it is over-priced, over-commercialized and overwhelming! In the past 21 months of engagement, I have discovered that if you want anything for your wedding, it is going to cost 10x as much as you expect. (well, that may be an exaggeration, but things are too expensive!) I understand that food, flowers, gowns, entertainment, all cost money but if you take a product or service and put the word "bridal" or "wedding" in front of it, somehow in our society, that makes it okay to double the price. Literally. Take the latest example I have found: hair pieces. Imagine this: two FAKE flowers on a comb. $70. Feathers glued to a clip: $49. Insane. So I am proud to say that my mother and I took it upon ourselves to create my own hair piece for the wedding. Quick stops at AC Moore and Rite Aid, $7 and an hour at the kitchen table resulted in what I have to say is a pretty freakin' awesome piece for that big event coming up on September 18.

Alas, I am trying to keep all of the specifics of the wedding a surprise, so no pictures until after the big day... but I am really excited how it turned out! I will say that all it took were some flowers from the baby aisle, a crystal pick I broke apart, a metal comb, and some hot glue. And of course, a little inspiration from my best friend (who is the first one who suggested I kiss those bridal stores goodbye and make my own).

In other exciting wedding news, I had my first gown fitting today. Yippee! It's almost crunch time, ladies and gents - according to theknot.com, I've only got 73 short days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment