Sunday, August 22, 2010

playing catch-up

Alright. It's been 11 days since I've updated this, and there's a lot to catch you all up on.

Number one: the house. Sadly, I haven't taken many pictures lately, but a lot has happened! Our living room now has FURNITURE. Furniture that doesn't include tv trays or dining room chairs. We have 2 curios (filled with my snowglobe collection), a couch, a chair and ottoman, a coffee table, and a tv. The only picture I have of any of this one:

I really took it because Sensei was being sweet with Bill, but you can see our super-comfy chair (with our matching UNC and NC state blankets!)

Bill also put up blinds in the living room today - now our neighbors won't have to watch us playing Wii anymore :)

We also painted the master bedroom closet: the people who had lived there before us had painted it around their clothes. Really. It's as bad as you're imagining. So Bill and I wanted the closet to actually be all one color, and now it is! It matches the green in our bedroom.

And now a little tangent: Bill teaches karate, as I may or may not have mentioned before, and a couple of weeks ago, a lot of the parents and other instructors threw him a surprise "groom's shower!" They gave him a plant covered in Lowes gift cards - literally a money tree!


Last night, we headed to Lowes to spend these gift cards, and now my story is about to come full circle: we were able to buy a new shelving system for our big walk-in closet! The existing shelves were in really bad shape, but Rubbermaid sells this great system of racks, shelves, poles, etc, so we started our collection.

Next up is my office. Lisa and I painted it! Sadly, I have no pictures. The room is currently housing a bookshelf and my IKEA Trofast unit for my crafting supplies.

And speaking of office and books (sort of): time for a grad school update! I started work last week, and classes start tomorrow. There are 5 graduate assistants, including me, and I really like all of the girls. Which is nice, since we're going to all be spending a lot of time together these next several months. Classes look pretty difficult, and a lot of reading, but it should all be interesting. And I have the other GAs to commiserate with me every day!

Back to house things: the kitchen wallpaper has been primed over (thanks Barry!) but it's going to take at least another coat or two before it will be ready for the top coat of paint. In the past few days, Bill and I have been able to unpack several boxes of kitchen supplies, so it's slowly coming together. Enough has been brought over from our two houses that I was able to make a couple of meals today to last the week. I made my poppyseed dressing for a spinach-strawberry salad, and a zucchini and almond pasta salad. The latter is from Smitten Kitchen and was delicious! I tweaked the recipe a little to make it twice as large, and it worked fine! The other recipe is a great find from my dad's friends Tom and Jean. I will say, though, Bill and I must be the only people in our little town to like goat cheese, because it was nowhere to be found at our grocery store! Luckily, the Lowes in the next town over had some. Sheesh.

This post was a little ADD, but it's been a long time and I felt the need to update! One final thought: TWENTY-SEVEN days until Bill and I will be married!

No comments:

Post a Comment