Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pop tarts

Today was glorious - I had the day off work! Sadly, I have to work this Friday instead, but since it's Labor Day, I will still have a 3-day-weekend!

The point of this post is not to tell you about how great it was to have nothing to do until class at 4 today (it was awesome, though), but to give a reason as to why I actually had some free time last night. I knew that I could do my reading for classes during the day today, so I decided to try out another new recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I'm telling yall, everything this woman posts looks so delicious to me! And most of it seems doable, despite my amateur status relating to anything not dessert in the kitchen. Last night, I gave in and finally tried my hand at her homemade poptarts. I have been wanting to make these for several months now, so I said "why not?"

Unfortunately, this was the first recipe I've tried in the new house that did not go smoothly. I  made the dough from scratch, but it was so sticky! I even added more flour than her recipe called for, and I put the dough in the freezer for a while, but nothing really worked. It was way too difficult for me to roll out and cut into rectangles, and I just couldn't take it. I will say, though, that I am SO happy to have a big kitchen with lots of counters! I had space to dust flour and roll out my dough, even if it didn't work.... Actually, I finally just gave up and made one large "poptart," filled it with a cinnamon-brown sugar mixture, put it in the oven, and crossed my fingers.

25 minutes, praise the lord, I had an ugly, but edible poptart. It was the size of 3 or 4 normal ones, but I cut it into rectangles after it was baked and they were a bit more presentable. And this was actually great, because I ended up with some that didn't have crust on the edges! (Everyone knows I eat the crust first, because it's gross and I get it out of the way!) I packed a few to take back to my parents house, and left the rest out for Bill to enjoy. I (happily) received a text later last night that read along the lines of "these things you made are delicious!" So score one for me for making things that taste like great homemade poptarts, and minus one for no one being able to tell what they were.

Of course I have no pictures of this adventure, because my DSLR is always at whatever house I am not, and my point-and-shoot's battery has been dead for about 3 weeks. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment