Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tar Heel bred.

Ladies and gentlemen, today I am thankful for the world's greatest, and the nation's first, public university. That's right. I am thankful for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I was raised ABC (Anybody But Carolina), and while some ignorant members of my family still feel that way - cough, PAUL, cough - I eventually saw the light, and can say that I am truly a Tar Heel for life. All it took was one day on that beautiful campus and my heart was won.

Now, let's ignore the fact that we lost in football (to State, ugh! No offense to the husband, of course) and in basketball twice this weekend. No, instead, let's focus on some of my happier memories from this fine university (in no particular order).

Winning the 2009 NCAA Championship!

Jumping my first bonfire on Franklin Street...

Taking 1,000 pictures holding the "#1" sign in the air with every person on Franklin Street all night when we won aforementioned championship!

Being in close proximity to Roy multiple times. Adopt me, please!

Front row risers at the UNC - NC State basketball game last year... I circled my face for proof.

Looking up at those beautiful SIX banners.

Wasting time at Late Night With Roy

Graduation photoshoots.

Graduation day! So bittersweet, but it was an exciting time.

Obviously, a lot of my favorite memories occurred in the Dean Dome. Here I am, celebrating 100 Years of Carolina Basketball with my bff. Of course it snowed that night while we were inside the Smith Center, so we had a fun photoshoot around campus afterwards!

Finally winning tickets to a Duke game! (Sorry it is sideways, I'm too tired to fix it right now!)

Despite the face, I really did enjoy living with Blanket those two years...

This is from Fall Retreat with Campus Crusade my first year at UNC. It was an amazing weekend, where I first got to spend time with some girls who turned out to be some of my closest friends from Carolina!

In fact, it's where this girl and I first bonded. This photo captures a fun night we had camping at Jordan Lake - that was a great weekend!

Agh, why are all these sideways!? Another favorite memory: 80s parties at Cat's Cradle, where I met my twin.

Meeting this girl is another favorite memory from UNC, despite the fact that we grew close from spending 10 hours a week in a cell in the psychology building. And of course, I enjoyed the free champagne glasses from this particular night!

Bill didn't go to UNC with me, but it feels unfair to not include him in this array of memories. 
So there you have it. A quick look at my three years at Carolina. While I'm sad I didn't have 4 years like most everyone else, it was still an amazing time. (And of course, I left Furman with some great friends - E, L, and A - so it wasn't completely worthless)

Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices
Ringing clear and true.
Singing Carolina's praises.
Shouting N-C-U.
N-C-U !

Hail to the brightest star of all
Clear its radiance shine
Carolina priceless gem.
Receive all praises thine.

 I'm a Tar Heel born
I'm a Tar Heel bred
And when I die
I'm a Tar Heel dead.
So it's Rah, Rah, Car'lina-lina
Rah, Rah, Car'lina-lina
Rah, Rah, Car'lina-lina
Go to hell, Duke.

No comments:

Post a Comment