Monday, November 29, 2010

Tis the Season

I love everything about the Christmas season.

Ornaments. Trees. Cookies. Homemade bread. Smells. Candles. Cooking. Decorations. Lights. Snowmen. Santa Claus. Family. Friends. Wrapping paper. Ribbon. Sleeping. Time off from work. Spending lazy days with Bill. Traveling. Christmas carols. The fact that my ringtone is now "I Wish Every Day Could Be Like Christmas." Gingerbread men. Christmas movies. Watching the Grinch on Christmas Eve with my dad. Reindeer. My snowman watch. Snowflakes. Parties. Cold weather. Baking. Traditions. Cards. Elves. Parades. Glitter. Mistletoe. Hot chocolate. Giving (and getting, I admit) gifts. The Holiday Market with my mom. Stockings. And of course, Jesus - He is the "reason for the season," after all.

So, to kick off the season right, I'm going to share ten of my favorite Christmas songs... (these are not my top ten, mind you, just ten of my favorite... I could never narrow it down!) Some are traditional, some not, but these are songs of the season that I think everyone should know! They're probably all available on iTunes or Amazon MP3, but I've posted links to youtube, so you can hear them for free!

1. I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas - Bon Jovi
Christmas music (one of my favorite things) + Jon Bon Jovi (another one of my favorite things) = best song ever.

2. O Holy Night - Pretty much any version. But Faith Hill's is especially great.
Love, love, love this song. It's not the upbeat kind of Christmas song I usually enjoy, but this one just gets me.

3. Another Christmas Song - Stephen Colbert
I dare you not to laugh.

4. Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Bruce Springsteen 
(Fast forward to about 1:30 to start) This has always been one of my favorites... they play it on most radio stations I listen to, even the ones that don't play holiday music 24/7, so it's always exciting to hear!

5. What Christmas Means to Me - Hanson
Don't judge! A lot of people love Hanson's Christmas CD, right Lisa?

6. Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley
My mother is a huge Elvis fan, so this always reminds me of Christmases growing up... Plus, the song is from (not this version, of course) "The Year Without A Santa Claus," which is one of my favorite classic Christmas movies!

7. White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Love this song, love this movie.

8. It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas - Johnny Mathis
This song just screams "Christmas" to me! I love hearing it for the first time each year.

9. You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Thurl Ravenscroft
My dad and I watch this movie every Christmas Eve night (the original cartoon one, not the live action version with Jim Carrey).

10. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
Just a cheery little Christmas song... even though it's sung by the Beach Boys, it makes me think of snow!


There you have it! 10 of my favorite Christmas songs... I'll probably post version 2.0 of this list later to share some other favorites... I am just so happy the holiday season has arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment