Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Newest Project

Bill and I have decided to become gardeners/weeders/planters/landscapers. Not really out of choice, but more of necessity. Have you seen our front yard?

Not so cute. I mean, I love our house, but there are some funky things going on in the front yard. Like the randomly-placed 5 or 6 trees. And the one area of bushes in the front right. And lack of flowers, except for one weird bunch of creeping phlox next to that CACTUS by the front door.
And let's not forget the hideous bushes next to the house. Here's a closer look:
You can also see the cactus and creeping phlox mentioned above, as well as one two-foot-tall-has-yet-to-show-any-green-or-sign-of-life-that-we-have-no-idea-what-it-is-plant.
So we want to tear up the bushes, as well as maybe some of the trees (a few are still bush-size, it wouldn't be difficult at all). We'd like to replace the bushes by the house, probably with forsythia. Which seems to be aptly-named, because it is EVERYWHERE around here. But it is a fun, bright color, and we love it. We'd also like to put in lots of flowers in front of the forsythia, as well as some at the front of the yard. And don't get me started on the vegetable/fruit/herb garden of our dreams we have planned for the back yard. This is a huge undertaking, and I am under no illusions that it will all get done this year. In fact, I bet most of it won't. But it's fun to dream and plan. And it will be a reality. It might be 2013 by then, but it will get done.

That's not to say we haven't done any work yet, though. We've added pine needles in the front yard, which has already made things 100% better looking. Bill and I visited LA Reynolds last week, our local garden center, and spent the better part of an hour and a half oohing and ahhing and planning out our dream yard. Sadly, our wallets don't share our dreams right now, so we have divided our plan into stages. We bought some flowers, and decided to connect that weird bush area with the frontmost tree in our yard. Don't worry, I've got photographic evidence of that adventure later in this post. The rest of the 2011 Spring stage includes maybe replacing the bushes... Depending on how many we need, and what kind of deal we can get on them. I feel good knowing we've started the plan, at least.

The yard work was really nice for a while, because we had about a week's worth of nice warm spring weather, complete with light breezes and bright sunshine and tank tops and shorts and flip flops. And then Bill and I planted flowers and within three days it was snowing. Go figure.

Bill covers our new plants at night and they seem to have survived so far. In fact, one of our poppy plants has a new bloom! I don't have any pictures of them after their plantings, but you can be sure I will keep you all updated on our gardening adventures and the mortal status of the new additions to our home. Besides, Michelle said I have to. :)

Now, it's time for what you've all been waiting for... pictures! Bill and I are amateurs, and it is SO hard for me to have patience with this! Patience is not my strong suit, and I don't like waiting for results. So right now, the placement of the flowers is bugging me. I want them to be big and overlapping one another, and I want to have the money to plant tons at once! But apparently flowers cannot be planted on top of one another (roots grow and need room to do so, blah blah blah) and they have to be spaced out, so it's a little goofy looking right now. But they are bright and cheery and I love them. I'll just love them a little more when they are bright, cheery, and LARGE.

Here's a before shot of where we planted the flowers. We did it Friday evening, so the sun was setting, so bear with me and the not so sunny photos. See the set of bushes on the right? We are going to tear up the far left one eventually. My dream is to have a rhododendron bush up there one day.
Mixing planting soil with that lovely red clay mess North Carolina likes to pretend is soil.
Orange poppies, orange gerber daisies, and yellow wallflowers. There's a pink ice plant in there, too, but it won't bloom for a while. So pretty!
Bill actually picked these out! Apparently he likes colors besides gray, navy, black and brown. Who knew?
Testing placements. Our plan includes more wallflowers and daisies, but these things add up quickly!
Transplanting one of our poppy plants. This one now has blooms!
Transplanted. Ready for the pine needles. Which totally overwhelms them currently. But they will grow and it will be (more) beautiful one day.
After shot. Excuse my camera bag, knee pad, empty soil bags, empty planters, and the wagon. I promise this stuff (usually) isn't scattered all over the front yard!
So there you have it. Our first foray into the world of plants that grow outside of pots in our kitchen window. It's only been four days, but things are looking good!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I've been itching for house-update posts! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete