Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A star (was) born

Happy birthday, Jon Bon Jovi!

To celebrate the day this star was born, I thought I would do a little recap of last Monday’s concert in Raleigh. AKA one of the best Bon Jovi concerts I have ever been to. I’ve been to nine, so that’s saying something. Also, as a warning, this is a total nerd post. Feel free to stop reading now.

If you're still with me, let’s start with the set list. (No, I didn’t memorize it – I just found it online!)

Blood on Blood
You Give Love a Bad Name
Born to be My Baby
We Weren’t Born to Follow
Lost Highway
Whole Lot of Leavin’
It’s My Life
Runaway
The More Things Change
We Got It Goin’ On
Bad Medicine (with Pretty Woman)
Lay Your Hands on Me
What Do You Got?
I’ll be There For You
Something For the Pain
Someday I’ll be Saturday Night
Who Says You Can’t Go Home?
Sleep When I’m Dead
No Apologies
Have A Nice Day
Keep The Faith
ENCORE:
Wanted Dead or Alive
Livin’ On A Prayer

Awesome, right? You may not know every song, but I recommend them all. I was a little surprised at the lack of some concert staples (“Captain Crash,” “Raise Your Hands,” and even “Hallelujah” as an encore). I was excited about the addition of a couple I had never seen live before, though. The band put out a greatest hits collection in the fall, with four new songs on it, and they played three of those at last week’s show – “No Apologies,” “What Do You Got?” and “The More Things Change.” I was really happy about that last one, it’s my favorite of the new songs.
Usually during the concerts, the lights go out about halfway through, and when they come back on, Jon Bon Jovi is in the middle of the crowd somewhere and he sings a slow song or two. And by a slow song or two, I mean “Bed of Roses” and “(You Want to) Make a Memory.” I like these songs, but this is typically my cue to rest my feet or run to the bathroom. Luckily, neither of these were played this time around! For the first time in nine concerts, I didn’t have to sit through “Bed of Roses.” In fact, I didn’t sit down or leave for the bathroom at all during the entire concert. Anyways, during this particular show, when the lights came back on, Jon Bon Jovi was by himself on the walkway out in front of the stage. Neat, expected, cool. He sang “What Do You Got?” and I of course loved it. Then, guitarist Richie Sambora joined him, and they sang “I’ll Be There For You.” Also kind of expected, but still wonderful. Then, the cool stuff happened. David Bryan (keyboardist) and Tico Torres (drummer) joined the other two on the walkway and performed unplugged versions of “Something For The Pain” and “Saturday Night.” SO AWESOME. Apparently, it was the first time Torres had ever come out from behind his drumset like that, and it was amazing. “Something For The Pain” is not one of their most popular songs, but it is one of my favorites, and I had never seen it performed live before. A.Maze.Ing. I’d seen “Saturday Night” once or twice before, but never like this. It made the RBC Center feel a little smaller, a little more intimate, and a whole lot more awesome.
I feel like the band had more energy than the last time I saw them (last year, on the end of their last leg of the tour), and it translated to the overall aspect of the concert. The whole place was packed full of people singing and dancing (and in the case of the drunk girl behind us, hitting on my dad). I was a little disappointed the encore was only two songs, as it’s usually at least three, sometimes four. The concert lasted a littler longer than usual, so a short encore kind of evened it out. My only wish is that it had last two more hours. And that they would have played “I Believe.” My favorite Bon Jovi song, and they almost never play it at concerts.
The concert was amazing, my pictures are not so good (I’m sneaking my SLR in next time!), and I had a great time. I’ve been so pumped up since, I’ve been watching Bon Jovi concert DVDs while I run on the elliptical all week.
Final note: the show made me love the band even more – who would have thought it possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment