Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Song Challenge, Day 23

Day 23: A Song You Want Played At Your Wedding

Well, seeing as how our wedding has happened already, I'll tell you a little story about a song that was played at the wedding.

Growing up, I listened to a lot of music. It was such a big part of my family's life, despite the fact that none of us were musically inclined. At all. Really. One certain member of my family - who shall remain unnamed - can't even clap on beat. And it was a pretty wide range of music: my mom played Elvis, the Supremes, beach and shag music, a lot of fun tunes from the 50s and 60s, and even some of that 80s pop I so love, like Hall and Oates.

Dad, on the other hand, made sure my favorite song at the age of 6 was by Everclear ("Santa Monica" is so good!) He also shared with me U2, the Who, Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin - the classics. And then there was the music Paul and I discovered on our own, or got from our friends and pop radio. I learned to love (almost) everything, and one fateful day in 2000, I bought my first Bon Jovi CD and never looked back.

As Bill and I dated, we shared our tastes with each other. I had to listen to nerd music (MC Frontalot or Jonathan Coulton, anyone?) and some hardcore stuff I didn't really enjoy (Rage Against the Machine), and I was introduced to some bands I had previously never paid attention to, but now I love (Dispatch, Guster, Ben Harper). In return, I forced Bon Jovi down his throat (but to no avail - he can't stand Jon's beautiful voice) and enlightened him as to the joys of all the music I love. The list really goes on forever. And some music he didn't really like (He heard "Stairway to Heaven" on Pandora and called it crap until he realized it was Zeppelin) and some he really got into - the Format, the 88, Kaiser Chiefs. And of course, there's the music we discovered together - Dr. Horrible, Jason Mraz, Lifehouse. But one band that we both love is the Beatles. They've always been one of my favorites, and now Bill loves them, too!

We knew that for our wedding, we didn't want traditional music. No Canon in D for us. After a lot of debate, we decided that a Beatles song certainly needed to be included in the mix. We chose "I Will" because it is so sweet, and I wanted to walk down the aisle to it. Luckily for us, my amazing friend Mallorie agreed to sing it, and it was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. And then on our honeymoon, we saw "LOVE," which is the Beatles' Cirque du Soleil show, which solidified the connection between our marriage and the Beatles, at least in my mind. (And it's Bill's ringtone in my phone, so I'm reminded of it almost everyday!)

And if anyone is wondering, we are obsessed with "Octopus' Garden." If you watch 500 Days of Summer, you'll notice that Summer says it is the Beatles' best song, and Bill and I were so excited someone agreed with us!

This post is making me sappy, so here's a little wrap-up: I love music. I love the Beatles. I love Bill.



Who knows how long I've loved you
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime?
If you want me to I will

For if I ever saw you
I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered
I will always feel the same

Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart

And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For the things you do endear you to me
Oh, you know I will, I will

No comments:

Post a Comment