Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm Free

I'm Free.

Free from summer school. Free from spending three nights a week on the computer in class. Free from student teaching (which would be sad, except they hired me as a sub! So I still get to see my kids - no sad goodbyes. In fact, I get to be with them three days this coming week!). And when I say "I'm Free," I want you to imagine me saying it in the voice of the Roger Daltrey. Minus the fringe.



So, a lot has happened in the past couple of weeks.

Chopped my hair off.

Discovered why my eyes burn/water when I wear contacts - I'm allergic to them! (Yes, that's possible.) But I found a great new eye doctor, who is helping me. I wore contacts yesterday for about 8 hours, and I didn't suffer today!

Bill and I started a low-carb diet together. We've been on it for officially a week now, and I've lost about 3 pounds. It was SO hard at first. I tell you, carbs are in everything. I had no idea. I've had to cut out cereal, bread, crackers, granola, most drinks (including milk and OJ!), ice cream, chocolate, the list goes on. But we found some great bisquik-like lowcarb subsitute, and it hasn't been too awful. I'll be blogging about that journey over the next few weeks...

Bill and I also went to our first nerd convention - ConCarolinas! Yes, it's exactly what you think. We went to a Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog Sing-Along, and a talk by the Ghostbusters, and I came in second place in a Harry Potter trivia contest, and Bill wants to join the Mandelorian Mercs, and there was Klingon Karaoke, but we missed that. There's always next year, though!

I went to a restaurant shaped like a pirate ship in Elkin, NC for father's day with my grandfather. Look it up - hilarious.

Bill and I went on a WONDERFUL Memorial Weekend trip to Boone. I know, that's more than a month ago, but I have really been slacking on the blog front! We went to Hebron, which was slightly scary, but it was a lot of fun.

Lots more plants have made their way into our home, and there are big plans to transplant some wild lilies (there are at least two different kinds in our backyard) up front, as long as the dogs don't eat them first :)

Okay. That's it for now. It may only be 10 at night, but I just started "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" (shoutout to Elise, she also just started it, independently of me - can't wait to compare notes next weekend!) and I'd like to spend some time reading before sleep - provided I can pull myself away from The Marriage Ref. Has anyone watched this? I've never seen it before, but it just started, and these people look nuts!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Congrats on being done! And congrats on getting hired as a sub! yay money and cute kids! Let's skype soon!

    ReplyDelete